Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Another money saving tip

Here is another good money saving tip. This one is actually a little bit better than yesterday's tip, in that it will save you more money. With the tax season coming up pretty soon, everyone is going to be looking for the cheapest and easiest way to do their taxes. My personal experience is that it's sometimes okay to pay for someone to do your taxes if you get a big return, but why pay someone if you don't have to?

A few years ago I went to H&R Block to get my taxes done. It was the first year I had been married and my wife and I went in together to file our returns. I had been at University the whole year, and spent the summer on an internship, so I had very little income that year. But because I had tuition credits, and investment income and other things, they wanted to charge me $80 to file my taxes for a $0 return! Now how stupid is that?!?

So needless to say, that year was the last year that I used H&R Block to do my taxes. The next year I decided I would do it myself. Now I'm not the greatest mathematician when it comes to tax preparation, so I decided that I would invest in some software to help make the process a little easier. I plopped down $40 for the QuickTax software and found it worked pretty well. The forms were easy to use and the program made it easy to maximize the return. After the first year of using QuickTax, I preordered the next year's version early so that I could get the extra $5 off. But in the time that I got last year's QuickTax software, and the time I actually filed my return, I found this new program that is 100% completely FREE!

That's right! A tax return software program that is free... no license to buy, no registration information to send, no hassles and no problems. The program looks very similar to QuickTax and has pretty much the same functionality. So this year, I will be using Studio Tax for my tax return. You should too. Check out www.studiotax.com/en/main.htm to find out more about this FREE software and save yourself at least $40 in the process. If you do your own taxes (or those of your friends and families) this is the best deal for you.

No comments: